Misleading communication of risk: Editors should enforce transparent reporting in abstracts
Gigerenzer, G., Wegwarth, O., & Feufel, M. (2010). Misleading communication of risk: Editors should enforce transparent reporting in abstracts. British Medical Journal, 341, 791-792. doi:10.1136/bmj.c4830
Download the article
1. Larsson LG, Nyström L, Wall S, Rutqvist L, Andersson I, Bjurstam N, et al. The Swedish randomised mammography screening trials: analysis of their effect on the breast cancer related excess mortality. J Med Screen1996;3:129-32.
2. Nyström L, Andersson I, Bjurstam N, Frisell J, Nordenskjöld B, Rutqvist LE. Long-term effects of mammography screening: Updated overview of the Swedish randomised trials. Lancet 2002;359:909-19.
3. Gigerenzer G, Gaissmaier W, Kurz-Milcke E, Schwartz LM, Woloshin S. Helping doctors and patients to make sense of health statistics. Psychol Sci Public Interest 2007;8:53-96.
4. Gigerenzer G, Mata J, Frank R. Public knowledge of benefits of breast and prostate cancer screening in Europe. J Natl Cancer Inst2009;101:1216-20.
5. Furedi A. The public health implications of the 1995 "pill scare." Hum Reprod Update1999;5:621-6.
6. Lidegaard Ø, Løkkegaard E, Svendsen AL, Agger C. Hormonal contraception and risk of venous thromboembolism: national follow-up study. BMJ2009;339:b2890.
7. Van Hylckama Vlieg A, Helmerhorst FM, Vandenbroucke JP, Doggen CJM, Rosendaal FR. The venous thrombotic risk of oral contraceptives, effects of oestrogen dose and progestogen type: results of the MEGA case-control study. BMJ2009;339:b2921.
Gigerenzer G, Edwards A. Simple tools for understanding risks: from innumeracy to insight. BMJ 2003;327:741-4.
9. Covey J. A meta-analysis of the effects of presenting treatment benefits in different formats. Med Decis Making 2007;27:638-54.
10. Schwartz LM, Woloshin S, Dvorin EL, Welch HG. Ratio measures in leading medical journals: structured review of accessibility of underlying absolute risks. BMJ 2006;333:1248-52.
11. Sedrakyan A, Shih C. Improving depiction of benefits and harms: analyses of studies of well-known therapeutics and review of high-impact medical journals. Med Care 2007;45:523-8.
12. Gigerenzer G, Gray JAM. Launching the century of the patient. In: Gigerenzer G, Gray JAM, eds. Better doctors, better patients, better decisions: envisioning healthcare 2020. MIT Press.